• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Breakfast

LoveAlways

Bluelighter
I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and ideally you should start off with a good amount of protein and a hearty filling...but i just cant seem to get into it! I mean i love breakfast food, but I'm never hungry first thing in the morning. In fact I dont usually get hungry till around 2pm :\ Not to mention I'm super busy with 2 babies that even if i was hungry i dont think i could actually make a complete meal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thnx

I have porridge with organic oats and some sultanas and I also mix in some LSA after i've made it.

If your short on time you can just make it in the microwave on medium for 4 minutes (1/3 cup oats and 1/2 - 2/3 a cup of water)

I'm pretty sure this is nutricionally sound 8)

its not the most important meal of the day.

You are intermittent fasting by not eating til 2pm. Its a way to increase insulin sensitivity (a good thing). Are you maintaining weight/strength on your current caloric intake? Then there is no problem.

You are intermittent fasting by not eating til 2pm. Its a way to increase insulin sensitivity (a good thing).

Hmmm interesting. Is this true across the board for all body/metabolism types?? And have you got any links to further reading? I'm not saying you're wrong but this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that skipping breakfast is a good thing! :D

I personally love breakfast. I usually have 2 pieces of wholegrain toast with vegemite, or lately I've been having a bowl of museli. If I don't have breakfast I feel like complete shit and I'm starving all day, which leads to more grazing of unhealthy foods.

if you skip breakfast though this leads to having bad breath I also heard

^^ How so?
Again, not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to read more info if you've got any links or anything? :)

when you fast you go into ketosis (which is fat burning mode). The ketones in your bloodstream can come out of your bloodstream into your mouth - and they smell kinda funky sometimes.

neo, google "intermittent fasting + bodybuilding"

that should give you some good reading material I would bet,

Cool, thanks man :)

Oh and yes I was aware of ketosis but I wasn't aware that it occurred to the extent of being able to be smelled on one's breath just from skipping breakfast. I thought that was more something that occurred with longer-term/chronic meal-skipping i.e. anorexia.

You aren't hungry until later because you haven't revved up your metabolism with a good breakfast in the morning. I usually "turn on" my stomach in the morning with some fruit if I'm not super hungry yet. This gets things going and in an hour or so I can eat. If you have any appetite what so ever, you can try this smoothie (one of my faves) which has a lot of nutrition.

-a few chunks of pineapple.
-strawberries (or kiwi, or orange juice, whatever you like)
-ground sprouted flaxseed
-an avocado
-an apple or a pear

to make the sprouted flax:

Just dump some flaxseeds in a jar and fill the jar with maybe double the amount of water (doesn't need to be exact and you can always add more water later if you see they are soaking up most of it). Leave it for 12-24 hours. Then blend it up in the blender til its something sort of like peanut butter (although it will be far more "gloppy").

If you add this flax to smoothies along with the avocado and the fruit it is a balanced morning "meal" and if you can prep some of the fruit (like the pineapple) the night before when your kids are asleep then you can just throw it all in the blender in the morning and have a yummy fruity treat. You may not be hungry before but you will be when you taste it!

Hope that helps. <3

^ this is an excellent point notdeja makes. Its what I do too (one of the fringe benefits of being with this super-cool chickie). It really does work...about a half hour later Im hungry!

Wow, for me this is the complete opposite. Immediately upon waking I either need to hit some cannabis, or my stomach/chest feels like it's gonna cave in from hunder.

btw - TOTALLY Loveing Andi's post(And have been for months)
Keep up the good work, I have nothing but faith in you. I'll be sending my positive vibes in your direction for sure.

@Andi=Edit - Consider dropping the pineapple(unless your'e in dire need of enzymes, and in which case papaya is the way to go), replacing that apple/pear with a cup or so of blueberries and dumping some probiotics or lecithin in there are you're GOLD.(In all honestly, while that looks yummy and all, it's basically sugar water with some fiber.)

Last edited:
op There are easy to make things such as toast, cereal with milk, some oj, frozen waffless that you pop in the toaster ,pop tarts , hot pockets, breakfast only takes a few seconds to make.

But seriously I have not gone a day without eating breakfast since I can remember. And if I don't I at least have some coffee. But every morning I have cafe còn leche with toast. :) yummm. Pancakes are awesome to! I have a Denny's literally right next to my house .

delta I am always really intrigued by and grateful for your nutrition knowledge. Have you formally studied it or is it just a hobby of yours?

And I have to agree with you re: notDeja. Hun, your advice is always spot on!! <3

Edit @" Monkeybizness" ^Well yes, I suppose you could get kcals from hot pockets, pop tarts, frozen waffles, frozen(EXTRIPATED) OJ, processed cereal, etc

But you'd suffer from malnutrition pretty fast. I can't even imagine diet like that :|

Edit @ neophyte, Thank you dear, that's quite kind of you :) I've always found you quite the pleasent person, myself :D
To answer your question though, yes and both. I have attended nutrition and physilogy classes in the past, and probably have 100lbs+ of textbooks laying around when I need a reference for something(You think I got all this stuff in my head? HAH!)

But for sure this is a full time obsession. =D (PM for advice...this goes for anyone. Glad to help)

But my true passion biochemical pharmacology

Last edited:
Edit @" Monkeybizness" ^Well yes, I suppose you could get kcals from hot pockets, pop tarts, frozen waffles, frozen(EXTRIPATED) OJ, processed cereal, etc

But you'd suffer from malnutrition pretty fast. I can't even imagine diet like that :|

Edit @ neophyte, Thank you dear, that's quite kind of you :) I've always found you quite the pleasent person, myself :D
To answer your question though, yes and both. I have attended nutrition and physilogy classes in the past, and probably have 100lbs+ of textbooks laying around when I need a reference for something(You think I got all this stuff in my head? HAH!)

But for sure this is a full time obsession. =D (PM for advice...this goes for anyone. Glad to help)

But my true passion biochemical pharmacology
Hey better the nothing.
And I am not malnutritioned or obese. :)

Sure, go get some vitamin, mineral, amino acid, lipid, and electrolyte tests done and come talk to me :)

Edit - I always lol when people think certain foods are "better than nothing". It's an absolute RIOT!
kCals =/= health I hate to be the one to break the news to you :\

Lol, there's no way in FUCK you could be obese on that diet

i got into the habit of brekkie with two pieces of raisin toast with vegemite. i've expanded to include some high fibre muesli and down to one piece of raising toast with vegemite. not to mention a juice as well as a tea topped up twice or so.

to wake up my mind even further i ensure i have extra time in the mornings, enough to watch an epsiode of some high quality drama.

i love my sleep, but i love my mornings even more now.